I’ve heard that it was about 50 degrees in Ohio yesterday.
You lucky ducks.
It is COLD in Nantes. I hate cold. I know hate is a strong
word. But I hate cold. Je déteste absolument la froid. If I say it in both
languages, I really mean it.
We’ve had a mild winter here, and most of the days have been
in the 50s. I laughed earlier in the season when people would say it is cold
outside. I considered getting a bike now in February instead of waiting until
March. I am no longer laughing at anyone. And thinking about even venturing to
the bus stop is enough to make me cringe, let alone the idea of biking to the
grocery store.
So what can you do when it’s terribly cold outside? You eat!
You drink! You are merry! All while avoiding the outdoors.
Some foodie news:
I made my first ever Quiche this past week! I have always known the deliciousness of a
good quiche, but why have I never been informed how easy it is to make them?
Eggs, Bacon, Onion, Crème Fraiche in a puff pastry? That’s it?!? Yum.
I also experienced everything that is a proper 3
course French dinner last Friday.
The language teachers at Lycée de Bouaye arranged an evening
out for their three language assistants… myself, the German assistant and the
Spanish assistant. And so instead of our normal “we’re too tired to go into
town let’s go to the cinema or stay in and drink wine instead” Friday night,
the three of us dressed for the occasion and enjoyed a proper three course meal
with the French.
The “Super Assistantes” were toasted by the teachers with an
apératif (before dinner drink). My meal then consisted of cuisses de
grenouille, canard et crème brulée (froglegs, duck, and… crème brulee). It was
Wonderful.
The teachers applauded when I ordered the froglegs. I had no
idea how to eat them (you pick them up with your fingers, thankfully another
teacher ordered them too!)They were delish, by the way. But so covered in
garlic that the teachers joked it was good that my fiancée lives across the
ocean.
In between courses the teachers switched spots so everyone
had the opportunity to sit near the assistants and chat with us. Darling.
Our meal lasted about three hours. We conversed, we laughed,
we enjoyed each other’s company and truly relished in the delicious food we
were served. I love what the
French eat, and how the French eat. The meal itself was truly an event.
February is not only the only the month of LOVE,
but also the month of Crepes, which I happen to LOVE, so this all makes perfect
sense to me. The French eat crepes on February 2- nothing to do with
the groundhog (they find our own tradition quite odd),
but instead has to do with the Catholic “la Chandeleur, Fête de la Lumière”
holiday celebrating the purification of Mary, presentation of baby Jesus etc
etc. Even after upteen years of Catholic education, I was unaware of this
holiday and how to celebrate it (Sorry mom and dad, St. Ursula Academy, UD…)
However I had no problem learning to celebrate this holiday French style
with a foyer Crepe Party! The French
don’t really celebrate the religious part, just the delicious dessert eating
part.
Never had a crepe? They are wonderfully thin pancake-like treats. You slather your choice of nutella, honey, jam, sugar (they have a brand here called “Daddys” as in “Sugar Daddy”) onto this treat, fold it up, and save the pointed part for last because most often it has the most of whatever delicious filler you chose! I’ve also had for real French Grandma-made crepes from a girl in the foyer that were so buttery and delicious on their own I declined nutella for the first time in my life.
No worries American friends… I will bring all these
traditions home and next year, when I am pining for my French life, I will
bake for you a King Cake in January and crepes in February.
Unfortunately my first fairly negative experience this time
around in France wheezled its way in between all this gourmet eating. But looking back on the whole evening, the series of events as a whole is ridiculously amusing.
In any of the classes I have taught about stereotypes, the
students are always surprised and appalled to hear that Americans thinks the
French are rude. They don’t see it. I usually don’t see it. I have written
about the kindness of multiple French people in this very blog…
This stereotype reared its ugly head for the first time
when I studied abroad.(My friends remember this event and my subsequent "I hate everyone in the world" freak out quite well). In retrospect I was with a group of people begging for attention-
being blatantly foreign in clothing, screaming in English, and expressing general tourist
mannerisms. All things I (as well as the people I associate myself with) put a lot of effort into trying to hide a bit
nowadays.
So Saturday. The only night we ventured outdoors into the
bitterly cold tundra that has become Nantes, was a mess. Expectations were high
due to a disappointing weekend before at the Party Boat (seems awesome, it’s
not. But I’m willing to give it a second chance.) Our night, in brief points:
1. English male friend, not surprisingly, is late. We RUN the 10 minute walk to the tram stop… stopping only to politely attempt to give some Frenchies directions. In the midst of running for the tram this same polite friend runs into a small pole and falls over, which unfortunately I did not get to see with my own eyes.
2. Deep breath, we made it onto the tram. So did a giant man who easily lost his balance as the tram jolted forward, and fell into my Spanish friend’s lap. I cannot emphasize enough how giant this man was. She is probably still “mal au jambe” at this very moment.
3. Pre-Party at our friend’s foyer. Best part of the night by far.
4. Venture to Hangar Bananes, the world’s worst located strip of clubs, inconveniently placed on an island with little to no access to public transportation. Last minute decisions and all of a sudden half our group is left behind on the now departing tram, and we are sprinting for a bus.
5. We bravely continue on, arrive at Hangar, and find our French foyer friends smoking outside a bar (quelle surprise). They enter. We follow. We are stopped. Bouncer: “How old are you?” English Friend “20” as she reaches for her id. *Note* Clubs and Alcohol can be enjoyed legally by 18+ in France. Bouncer glances at id (English), back up at group, and proclaims “Pas ce soir” (not tonight) while closing the door. The foreigners exchange glances and debate in French what now to do. The many French people standing in line behind us are granted entry into the club
6. This behavior doesn’t fly with English friend, who insists on standing right outside the door, demanding “C’est quoi le problème? C’est parce que je suis ANGLAISE!” She then accuses the bouncer of racism… (more like nationalism) but the main idea of prejudice and discrimination came across all the same. When the bouncer realized we weren’t going away, we weren't going to stop screaming about his racist ways, and our French friends weren’t going to stop bothering him to let us in, he opened the door and without saying anything this group of motley foreigners marched right in.
7. The club was listening to American music.
8. We leave club, stand in line for another club, decide not to enter club because it costs 17euro, and instead start the long walk towards the nearest tram stop.
9. Friends miss the tram that will take them home. In the process of figuring out what to do with that situation we are approached by a very drunk and/or drugged couple wanting to be friends. Our tram arrives. I hop on, with 2 others. The tram rolls away and the rest of our friends are left to call a taxi and deal with druggie/drunkies. I am later told that they politely told the couple to leave them alone or that they would call the police. Bahahah. The police station closes for lunch. I doubt they are concerned with foreigners at this hour.
10. We’re almost home. So close. My shoes are untied. My Spanish friend steps on the lace. Broken.
To use one of my favorite French expressions, C’était la
merde.
In conclusion: the past two weeks I've eaten more delicous treats than someone who has to someday look beautiful in a white dress should. And I learned the French word for bouncer. You should
at least know the vocabulary word for the person you accused of racism.
Bisous,
Steph
*Despite the light manner in which I address the subject here, I believe that racism is a serious and frustrating issue in our society. My feelings are similar for nationalism.
*Despite the light manner in which I address the subject here, I believe that racism is a serious and frustrating issue in our society. My feelings are similar for nationalism.
You need to snuggle by a fire. I felt cold even reading this! I'm having lunch with your mom next Sunday and I can't wait!!!! I'm quite sure it will not be as eventful as your night out that you wrote about, but it will be wonderful to spend time talking about you and your upcoming nuptials! I love you, honey!
ReplyDeleteKelly