Wednesday, May 9, 2012

This is Nantes really happening, right?


I have somehow managed to fit my entire French life in two 50lbs bags, and one extremely heavy “dear God I hope they don’t weigh this” carry-on. Our goodbyes have been long and drawn out- starting with the German assistant in March at the end of her contract, the departure of another of “les filles”, our English friend on Tuesday morning, and finally myself tomorrow. Both the Spanish assistant and the other English assistant have extended their work contracts until at least the end of May. 

It’s unreal, and it makes my heart hurt, to think that this is really coming to a close. This has been an incredible opportunity that has helped me grow professionally, develop my French language skills, and further piqued my interest in the world and all the wonderful things it has to offer us. I did all the things you do when you first move out on your own and a few more- figured out health insurance, transportation, internet, cell phone, set up a bank account,  housing assistance, immigration, doctor’s visits… and I did it all in a foreign language. A foreign language I will miss dearly… it seems so odd to know that in just a days time I won’t be hearing, or speaking, or joking in French with anyone. I had some wonderful vacations with my family, a dear friend, and my fiancé… having spent time in 9 countries in the past 8 months (if you count France and the United States). I’ve made good friends with people who, had I not studied French, I would never have been able to communicate with and know and love like I do now.

While France and America are both western countries, I’m anticipating a bit of a reverse culture shock. Living here, I understand how and why expats are drawn to life in foreign countries. There are times when being an American here has been a little embarrassing… the time Rush Limbaugh called girls who use birth control sluts, the fact that America is even debating the issue of women’s reproductive rights, Gingrich’s campaign ad criticizing Romney’s ability to speak French, the moment Congress declared the limited amount of tomato sauce in pizza a serving of vegetables for school cafeterias… 

There are a lot of things I have come to strongly identify with concerning French life and culture. I love that for at least a short amount of time I got to live in a country that believes in…

  • Access to health care as a basic human right
  • Affordable access to education… everyone in the country does not finish their studies with thousands of dollars of debt.
  • Buying locally from markets and small bakeries, developing a relationship with the people who are growing and selling one of our greatest necessities,
  •  Raising cattle and poultry without the use of hormones or antibiotics
  • Proper, well balanced school lunches
  • Sundays truly as a day of rest. Without the option of grocery shopping or running errands (as everything is closed), it’s hard to feel guilty about sleeping in and spending the entire day perhaps doing nothing but being with your friends and family.  
  • Butter. Sometimes I cringe when I think about what the little old French ladies who buy their butter fresh from the cheese woman at the market would think about our “I can’t believe it’s not butter” substitutes.
  • 4+ hour dinner parties, different wines specially chosen for each course, and an entire course devoted to Cheese. 
  • Paying a teeny small fee for a plastic bag at the grocery store. After forgetting my reusable grocery bags and paying 15centiemes maybe 3x, I got used to the idea of always taking my own reusable bag. So does everyone else. Save. The. Planet. 
  • Reliable public transportation and bike paths. I lived for 8 months here without a car. I can’t imagine doing that in America. It would just be too inconvenient and too difficult.
  • Les bises. I have come to expect, and to love, the double kiss on the cheek.
  • Teaching foreign languages starting in primary schools. Language learning is so so important…

I am of course looking forward to coming home. I can’t wait to see le boy, my new house and be a normal, not long distance and 6 hour time difference, engaged couple… planning our wedding, showing off my ring, and generally just being together. I know that my Dad will make one of his famous brunches on Sunday. I’ll spend a significant amount of time the following week with my dog and my mom, sitting on the front porch with glasses of wine. I get to see my constantly growing up too fast niece and nephews, and I get to meet my new niece Gia who was born the week after I left. I look forward to eating what is always a delicious meal at the DeLiberato’s house, and spending an evening relaxing and catching up. I hope to sit around a bonfire with my siblings and a few beers. I get to hug all my aunts and grandma who spoiled me with cards and packages while I was here. And visit with all my wonderful friends of course. There is so much to look forward to.

La Cigale, Nantes, France
But for the moment, I’m spending my last few French moments with our little family here. I so appreciate the opportunity to get to know people from all over Europe and I truly loved being the only American in our little group of friends. Of course we are all so much more than our respective countries’ stereotypes…but I still learned organization and planning skills from the German, the value of a good siesta and the importance of staying out until 6am dancing from time to time from our Spanish friend, countless new vocabulary words from my English friends who I am positive don’t really speak the same language as Americans, every gros-mot in the French language from driving with my French friends… 

Merci  à tous. J’ai des trop bons souvenirs de ma vie ici à cause de vous. Il restera toujours un grand morceau de mon cœur à Nantes. Bisous Bisous


No comments:

Post a Comment