Happy Happy New Year !!
2011 was potentially one of the most action-packed wonderful years of my life. I got to go on some fun trips to visit friends to Baltimore and Charlotte. I got to live in Cincinnati for the entire summer, soaking up all the fun that is Avilla Pl, the Reds, The Haufbrauhaus, and the general joy of living in a close proximity to some best friends for the first time since college. I made the bold decision to apply for a new job and move to France for the year. Since being here I have traveled to Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Spain. And of course, my love proposed to me here in Nantes to end out the year quite sweetly.
I tried really hard to stay up until American New Year last night… which is 6am my time. It didn’t work.
Such an action packed year… that to me, it made sense to wrap it up fairly quietly. I did just that here in Nantes, spending the night at a friend’s apartment downtown, eating a wonderful meal together and learning how to crochet until the Champagne hindered my ability to fully understand any new instructions. The beginning of my “snood” (circle scarf) demonstrates this confusion… but it’s a first project and I am embracing the odd irregularities in my current crochet style. I’m quite excited about this new hobby as I’m sure it will make fall/winter Sunday afternoons on the couch in front of some sports game with Joseph all the more enjoyable. And it will be nice to be able to hopefully make my own cozy creations for those cold cold Cleveland winters.
New Years Day involved a special treat- peanut butter cookies for breakfast (peanut butter isn't popular at all here, is located in the foreign foods aisle and costs like a million euros), coffee from a real coffee pot (heaven after 3 months of boiling your own water for instant coffee), and more crocheting. A lovely day. It's the little things.
New Years Day involved a special treat- peanut butter cookies for breakfast (peanut butter isn't popular at all here, is located in the foreign foods aisle and costs like a million euros), coffee from a real coffee pot (heaven after 3 months of boiling your own water for instant coffee), and more crocheting. A lovely day. It's the little things.
New Years is a favorite holiday of mine, second only to the 4th of July. I really love the feel of New Years… it’s a sparkly holiday, with a lot of champagne, good friends, and a whole lot of hope for the upcoming year. I think it’s one of the most hopeful holidays we’ve got. After a 10 second countdown we all embrace the good and the bad of the previous year and look forward to the unknown the new one will bring. We kiss the one we love, we clink glasses and toast to those around us, and in general merriment we start something new.
My New Year’s resolution multiple years while I was in college was to learn how to wink. This I never accomplished. It’s an unfortunate genetic disability. I’ve got some more serious goals for 2012…
- Better integrate into French culture. Yes, I live in France. Yes, I work in a French High School. But when it comes down to whom I spend the most time with here, it’s not the French. I’ve got this wonderful little group of assistant friends from 3 other countries other than my own… but I am going to try to consciously push myself even further from my comfort zone and do something that will help me meet more French people. I know I have gone to such cultural events here as Miss Nantes and the Bar Bar Music Festival, but I can do more :P Step one is getting a language tandem partner. I can sign up with an organization that will connect me with a French person who is looking to improve his/her English language skills. We’ll meet up once a week or so just to talk for awhile in English, and for awhile in French. I’m writing it on the blog so now you can hold me accountable!
- Following the improve my language skills theme... start reading in French. I always take the free newspaper when I see it, but I need to pick up some novels while I have the access to them.
- Travel…seeing as this is probably the last time I will be in Europe for awhile, and definitely the last time I will live here (unless Joseph has a mid-life crisis someday and is overcome by a desire to learn French, which I will not discourage). I’ve started a word document “Travel Wants” on my desktop. Some are reaches, but most are doable.
- Stop drinking pop. It’s so bad for me. I was doing really well kicking the diet coke habit before I left, but I’m back to buying off-brand Jean’s Coca Light these days.
- Continue to cook. So far since moving to France my proudest cuisine accomplishment has been the mussels from the market. But I’ve also made some good soups, chili, an excellent warm goat cheese salad, and duck, besides what I was already familiar with. I’d really like to find a class to learn how to make those delicious French macarons.
I’m not sure my 2011 can be beat, but 2012 will bring new travels to London and potentially to Eastern Europe, the big move home to America and then to Cleveland, and the search for a new job. I am hoping for wonderful adventures, quality time with great people, and new lessons to be learned in the upcoming year. Allez-y!
Bisous,
Steph
Happy New Year, Steph! Peanut butter is not popular? That is scandalous.
ReplyDeleteSounds like 2011 truly was an adventure and I have no doubt 2012 is going to be just as adventurous!
YESSSSS MACARONS!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI was successful in my give up pepsi and coke and dark pop for all of 2011. But since have drank it like everyday. I do plan to cut back, but it is impossible to cut back when you go from nothing to something!
ReplyDeleteI think I love the challenge of New Years Resolutions. I shall not eat fast food for this year...and hopefully will end my affair with pop by the end of the month. I also wish to eat one fruit a week.