…which sounds so much fancier than the English “teacher”
I have been observing classes, but this week was my very first to lesson plan and interact with the kids on my own. It’s been a big learning week for me… here are some questions that came up…
What do you do when your entire class of kids doesn’t show up?
Day 1 of teaching, Class #3 just doesn’t show up. Not even one student who was too scared to get in trouble for skipping. I didn’t know what to do so I waited for about 10 minutes, memorized my schedule because I looked at it so much, then went down to the teachers lounge hoping to run into one of the English teachers. No such luck. I stood awkwardly on the outskirts of a conversation between two profs I had never met until one of them asked me if I needed something. Yes. I need my students.
I was sent to speak with “la vie scolaire” (counselors/attendance office) and they said that sometimes the kids need to be reminded that my classes are not an option for them, they are compulsory. Well. Ok. Stupid kids. I waited around for you. And now I’ve missed the bus and have to wait another hour. Needless to say- they do not get the option of voting on the topic they would like to study. And I will tell them that. And pick something that I want to do instead.
What do you do when you unlock your classroom door to find another teacher already using it?
You tell your students to hang tight and then run and bother “la vie scolaire” again. They send you to another room that is also being used. Run back to office. Finally they will send you to a tiny room with no technology… Since I couldn’t use my planned lessons I instead discussed the crazy zoo event that happened in Ohio this week. God Bless you, interesting current events.
What do French kids immediately think when they hear the word “USA”?
I wanted to know what the kids knew already about America, so I put USA on the board in a circle and asked them what comes to mind right away. McDonalds was always in the first 3 things mentioned. One brave soul said “eunh, fat people”. New York always made the list. And Obama. Also The Simpsons. And that’s how the world knows us, folks.
What do you do when the fire alarm goes off in French high school?
Thankfully, you do the same thing you do in America. You get the kids out of the building and you shut the door behind you. You are also supposed to remember the attendance sheet- which I forgot. You should also probably know what the alarm sounds like, or else something like this will happen
Me: “ok! Whose cell phone is going off?”
Kids: “eunh Madame, we have to leave”
Me: “Wait what? Oh my gosh is that the fire alarm!”
Thanks to all who offered suggestions for my chapter themes with the kids… here are the topics chosen by my 9 classes of First Years
American High Schools: 1
Hollywood & PopCulture: 4 (one of these groups is also interested in American sports. Ughhh. Fake it ‘til you make it right?)
French and American Stereotypes: 1
American Holidays: 1
*I did not see two of my classes of kids this week- the class that skipped and one that was cancelled for a meeting*
My 2 classes of “terminales”/ seniors are more serious and want to talk about American Politics and Government, Social Classes in America, Travel in the US, and Stereotypes
I will have two classes where I will be working with teachers who want to improve their English. Most are doing this for fun, some are doing this so they can practice to take an exam so they are certified to teach their discipline in English. The amount of language learning that goes on over here is incredible to me… bah American Education you are so far behind.
I asked all the teachers why they were taking that hour with me and one said “I want to improve my English so I can speak to tourists and people that I meet from other places.” Immediately a bumper sticker I once saw in America popped into my mind “Welcome to America, Speak English!” (Miraculously I somehow resisted the urge to rear-end the vehicle) … If everyone instead thought like this Frenchman, our world would be a better place.
But I have survived my first week of teaching with many ups and downs. And now I have a two week vacation!
Interesting social life tidbits from the week:
Crepes and cider in Trentemoult, which is a lovely little once-fishing village at the end of my bus line. We ate at a restaurant right on the water and it was quite charming.
Salsa dancing. We thought there was a lesson in the basement of this bar… nope, it was just in the middle of the bar. This tiny Latin American man led us speaking a mix of Spanish and French, Salsa music was cranked up loud, French bar patrons looked on, and we all stepped on each others’ feet as we “danced” for an hour. Kaitlin and Tracie- the way this man danced reminded me a little of UD Intermediate Jazz Dance with Gary 2007… figure eights? Still look real awkward when I attempt them.| Devoured Oysters (not just by me) |
I’m leaving tomorrow to meet my parents and my aunt in Rome. We will then explore by cruise Rome, Sicily, Athens (as long as the political situation has calmed), Crete, and Ephesus Turkey. I am so excited to see my family, but am especially proud of my dad for braving that transatlantic flight for the first time. I am so excited to share this big travel experience with him, and also share it with my wonderfully adventurous mom and aunt.
Bises,
Steph
Have so much fun on your family adventure! I can't wait to hear all about it! Tell them I said hello :)
ReplyDeleteOne thing that annoys me is the whole speak English crap. That same person with that bumper sticker probably travels and expects them to speak English where ever he goes as well.
ReplyDeleteI'm guilty of it too. I find languages so difficult!
Figure eight hip swivels, French-style?! I love it! Let's be honest, no one can ever really perfect it the way Gary did. LOVE reading about all your adventures so far. Try to see how the kids can handle abbreves, American English style :)
ReplyDeleteLove how perfectly you type the sound that is "eunh...." it's so different from an American "uhhhh"
ReplyDeleteI love you. and i love france. wish i was with y'all (I say that now since i'll be a Texan in less than a month - moving on Black Friday...missing all the sales).